Every year Rajeev Masand gathers 5 directors who made the best films of the year, and discusses films with them on a special show called ‘The Directors Round Table’. So this year along with Ashwini Iyer Tiwari (Bareilly Ki Barfi), Konkana Sen Sharma (A Death In The Gunj), R S Prasanna (Shubh Mangal Saavdhan), and Alankrita Srivatsava (Lipstick Under My Burkha), SS Rajamouli was also on the panel. There are two special things about this year’s panel, one being, this is the first time that there are more number of women than men on the panel. And this is the first time that a (Regional) Telugu director made it to ‘The Directors Roundtable’ (considering rest all the films are made in Hindi).
And as no surprise, in the entire discussion, Rajamouli stood out as a special attraction and grabbed the eyeballs with his witty and interesting answers. So here we present you the highlights of his speech/answers.
1. What was the most memorable day on the set while making the film?
2. How did you keep yourself committed, passionate and driven for 5 years in making Baahubali?
3. Did you ever get bored, tired, wished you could fast forward to the end?
4. What’s the most important quality for a director to have?
5. What’s your favorite film that blew your mind, and made you realize the power of cinema?
6. Do you allow your actors to improvise in scenes?
7. How do you handle such huge cast on set? What is the most difficult thing when you are shooting with multiple actors in one scene?
8. How pampered are directors and how are they taken extra care of?
9. Did you make any changes with the story to make it appeal to PAN India audience?
10. What’s your take on Padmavati row?
11. Are you good at anything other than filmmaking, and could you earn a living out of it, if needed?
12. What do you think can make people come to the theatre and watch the movie? And not wait until it is aired on TV or streaming platforms?
13. What makes you passionate about doing this (direction) job?
If you wish to contribute, mail us at email@example.com