13 Iconic Forts That Reflect The Glorious History Of Andhra Pradesh!
Our glorious history is filled with great achievements of extraordinary rulers who have hoisted the flag of Telugu pride. These great rulers may not be among us anymore, but the monuments they built have stood the test of time and serve us as a reminder of their days of glory. Let us explore the forts of Andhra Pradesh.
1. Bobbili Fort
This was the new one. The old one was destroyed in the Bobbili war of 1757. Chinna Ranga Rao, who survived the Battle of Bobbili as a child was, at a later date, installed as the Raja of Bobbili. The successors of his lineage constructed the present Bobbili Fort following their improved economic conditions in the middle of the 19th century.
Source : Hindu
2. Vizianagaram Fort
This was built in the year 1713 by Vijaya Rama Raju, Raja of Vizianagaram. The site for the fort was suggested to the Rajas by a Muslim saint, Mahabub Valli, who was doing penance in that forest. The auspicious date chosen for the foundation laying ceremony corresponded, according to the Hindu calendar, to the year known as Vijaya on the tenth day of the Vijaya Dasami when the Dassara Festival is generally held in the country
Source : wikipedia
3. Chandragiri Fort
It was built in the year 1000AD during the rule of Yadavanaidus. Later it was taken over by the Vijayanagara rulers in 1367. The most famous Vijayanagara emperor, Srikrishna Devaraya, was kept hidden in this fort as a prince, till his coronation at Penukonda. It is also said that he met his future queen Chinna Devi at this fort. Chandragiri was the 4th capital of Vijayanagar Empire,
Source : panaromio.com
4. Kondapally Fort
It was built in 1360 by the Prolaya Vema Reddy of the Reddy dynasty of Kondaveedu. For many years it has witnessed wars among many northern and southern Indian rulers and even the British. In 1541, Kondapalii fort and the province were conquered by the Muhammadans. It was under occupation of the Bahmani Kingdom for some time, then with Gajapati rulers of Orissa followed by Krishnadevaraya of the Vijayanagara empire and it eventually fell into the hands of Muslim rulers of the Qutubshahi dynasty in the 16th century
Source : hindu
5. Kondaveedu Fort
Kondaveedu Fort was constructed by Prolaya Vema Reddy. Later it was ruled by the Reddy dynasty between 1328 and 1428 and then taken over by Gajpathis of Orissa later ravaged by the Muslim rulers of the Bahmani kingdom (1458). The Vijayanagara emperor Krishnadevaraya, captured it in 1516. The Golconda Sultans fought for the fort in 1531, 1536 and 1579, and Sultan Quli Qutb Shahi finally captured it in 1579, renaming it Murtuzanagar. The fort came under the control of the French colonists in 1752 when it was extensively fortified. It passed on to the English imperialists who got control of the fort in 1788 but abandoned it in early 19th century in favour of Guntur. Now, the massive fortifications and battlements are seen in ruins only.
Source : groupouting.com
6. Udayagiri Fort
The fort was built in 14th century in the Gajpathis kingdom, who are from Orissa.. Udayagiri, was attacked by Krishna Deva Raya for a period of 18 months after which he was successful., It fell under the rule of Krishna Devaraya of Vijayanagar in 1512. After the fall of the Vijayanagara Empire, it was ruled by chieftains of Golconda. And later by Nawabs of Arcot.
Source : chennaitrekkers.org
7. Kurnool Kondareddy Fort
It was believed that the iconic Kurnool Fort was built by Achyuta Devarayalu, belonging to the Vijayanagar Empire and it stands even today as a splendid example. Konda Reddy (1597-1643), the last ruler of Alampur defeated the Kurnool Nawab who was a subordinate and an associate of the Golconda Kings several times. After a prolonged battle, Konda Reddy was captured and imprisoned in the fortress. Because of his valor and untiringly resolve to fight the Muslim rulers, the fort came to be known as “Kondareddy Buruju”.
Source : tripadvisor.com
8. Gurramkonda Fort
Gurramkonda Fort is a 500 year old architectural masterpiece. It is made of Mortor. One of the heritage sites of India, this fort is a 500 year old architectural wonder. Located at a distance of 72 kilometres from Tirupati, the name originated because the rulers rode horses to reach their palace at the top of the steep hill. There is also a tomb for Tippu Sultan’s maternal uncle, Maqbeera.
Source : tripoto.com
9. Gandikota Fort
Gandikota was founded in 1123 by Kapa Raja of nearby Bommanapalle village and a subordinate of Ahavamalla Someswara I, the Western Chalukyan king of Kalyana. The town played a significant role during the Kakatiya, Vijayanagara and Qutub Shahi periods. The fort was made more impregnable by Pemmasani Thimma Nayudu. The fort was under the control of Pemmasani Nayaks for over 300 years.
Source : highwayonlyway.com
10. Adoni Fort
In the 15th century and early to mid 16th century, Adoni was a fort town of the Vijayanagara Empire. It was held by the kinsmen of Aliya Rama Raya, a powerful aristocrat of the Vijayanagara kingdom. From approximately 1558, at the decline of the Vijayanagara Empire, control of Adoni came to Ali Adil Shah I (1558–1579), the fifth Sultan of the Bijapur Sultanate.and later it went into the hands of mysore kings and nizams
Source : wikipedia
11. Gooty fort
The Ravadurg Gooty Fort is one of the oldest hill forts of Andhra Pradesh. The fort structure resembles a shell with 15 main doors and 15 sub forts. According to histrorains this was built by kakatiya rulers in around 7th cenuThe fort inscriptions call this fort ‘Gadha’, while the other refers to it as the ‘King of Forts’. Mir Jumla conquered the fort, however, it was soon taken over by Haider Ali in 1773. The fort was ultimately taken over by the British, by defeating Tipu Sultan in 1799
Source : mouthshut.com
12. Kangundi fort
This was built in 11 century by Kangundi Zamindars who ruled kuppam area from 1066-1950 AD
Source : gotirupati.com
13. Siddhavatam Fort
Sidhout Fort, constructed in 1303 AD, lies on the banks of the Pennar River. The fort extends over an area of 30 acres. The fort here was much developed under the rule of king Varadha Raju, who is the son-in-law of Sri Krishna Deva Raya. This fort was just a mud fort at the time the area was ruled by “Matli Rajulu”.
Source : gotirupati.com
Also, do SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel to get more awesome video content delivered right into your inbox.
If you wish to contribute, mail us at email@example.com