Basic Things Everyone Should Know About Hair Donation For Cancer Patients
Contributed By Spilled Beans
If you have long hair and thinking to chop it off because of your own reasons, then you have an amazing unexplored option probably better and preferable than donating it to the temples. Not a lot of people consider this as an option while thinking of a summer cut, etc.
Cancer is one of the major dreadful diseases out there. And as a part of the treatment, hair fall is a side effect due to chemotherapy and radiation. It is a deeply disturbing and an excruciating experience for the patients, which possibly will affect their self esteem along side the mental and emotional trauma.
There are a lot of NGOs which support the cause of donating hair to the cancer patients. Namely, HOPE FOR HAIR, HOPE FOR HAPPINESS, TANGLED (The Cherian Foundation), etc.
These NGOs have been doing this since quite a long time and are established. And there are salons like GREEN TRENDS which support the cause and when mentioned, they will cut the hair as per the requirements and guide you to donate.
Click the links to know How and Where to donate:
1. DonateInKind – Click Here
2. Protectyourmom.asia – Click Here
3. Hair For Happiness-Hyderabad – Click Here
4. Hair For Hope-India – Click Here
GENERAL RULES TO DONATE :
Firstly, Hair swept off the floor is unusable for making wigs. Do not send the same.
Secondly, Hair that has been bleached, lightened, permanently colored or chemically treated and damaged is not accepted. Gray hair is accepted. Wavy or curly hair may be stretched or straightened with iron before measuring.
Majorly, the Minimum hair length which is to be donated varies with different organizations. But the common length is 12 inches (i.e) 31 cm.
1. Before cutting hair for donation, freshly wash the hair (with shampoo and/or conditioner) but do not apply any styling product after that.
2. After drying, tie the hair into 4 ponytails. To create four ponytails, tie the hair in front of each ear into 2 ponytails, and then tie the hair behind each ear into 2 ponytails.
3. Ponytails are to be tied and held using elastic bands. The topmost elastic band should be just below where you want to cut the hair. Place subsequent elastic bands at 4 Inch intervals. Ensure that the bands are tight around the hair to keep the hair together after cutting. Take care to see that the minimum length required is available from topmost elastic band to the end of the ponytail.
4. Place the ponytails with elastic bands in a dry plastic bag. Place the plastic bag in an envelope along with a slip mentioning your name and details. Courier the envelope to the address depending on the organisation.
If you have any friends whom you think are potential donors, they at some point would want to chop their hair off. So, please do let them know and be a part of this magnificent phenomenon and support the cause.
Feel free to comment below regarding any inputs.
Image Source : Protectyourmom.asia, google, copewithcancer.org, Australia Alopecia Areata Foundation.
If you wish to contribute, mail us at email@example.com