The center piece of Hyderabad city, the State Assembly Building, a.k.a Town Hall, is proudly celebrating 102 illustrious years! On account of this monumental moment, Chai Bisket thought we should celebrate its birthday in style. How, you ask? By celebrating all of its awesome features! Here are some great facts about the historic construction!
1. It was a crowd-funded building! The citizens of Hyderabad raised money to build it to mark the 40th birthday of Nizam Mahboob Ali Khan.
2. Completed in 1913, it took 8 years to complete the edifice, after the money was raised.
3. The Nizam was so impressed by the palaces in Pink City that he commissioned architects all the way from Rajasthan to build this beauty.
4. The architectural design of the building is a blend of Rajasthani and Persian styles, fit for a king!
5. In 1980 New Assembly Building was constructed adjoining the Old Assembly, in order to accommodate the legislative offices and was made to have the same architecture as the original one and it so resembled the old building.
6. The 22-Feet tall bronze Statue of Mahatma Gandhi, in a posture of meditation, was erected in its Premises, is billed the tallest in India.
7. The words “My Life is My Message” are inscribed on the pedestal of the Statue, reminding the leaders of the State to live and govern by Gandhi’s philosophy.
A 1 anna postal stamp was issued in 1947 bearing the picture of State Assembly Building.
If you wish to contribute, mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org